Thursday, April 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to my Nana! I wanted to post some recent pics of this special women. She just turned 87 at the end of March and no one would ever guess!!! I wished I could have been there to celebrate with her, but a phone call had to do again this year. She is just an amazing and gifted woman who has taught me so much through the years. So many of the things that I see myself wanting to create for my own family sprout from my memories with her. I thought I would just list a few of the gifts that she has shared with me that make her special and that make me love her so much and feel so blessed to be her granddaughter.

Cooking Thank you for sharing your gift for cooking. Some of my favorites include: energy cookies, crispies, fabulous holiday feasts and an amazing, beautiful and inviting table for her family and friends
Sewing Thank you for sharing your gift of sewing. Especially needle pointing! she spent so much time with me teaching me how to needlepoint so many things. I hope today I can still remember and make some of the wonderful things she did)
Painting Thank you for sharing your gift of painting. Still to this day have a vision of her "painting table" that was set up in the basement and was open to all of us kids....yet some how we knew we shouldn't touch it. It was so difficult to not stick my fingers into those tubes of colors and I am guessing that I wasn't always so good at restraining myself. I still have and see many of her paintings in various places in even my home and my family's home. This too is something I would love to learn someday.
Boat trips Thank you for sharing this boat with me. My Nana and Papa owned an amazing sail boat that I have so many memories from. Thank you for sharing this with me and allowing me to spend time with my family every summer for a week on Lake Huron. I know I am not alone when I say that those are some of my best memories as a kid in the summer
The House on Roslyn Road Thank you for sharing this home with me. I have referred to this house over the years as the "castle". Of course it was not a castle, but it had a magical sense about it to me and many of the other grandchildren too. It was so fun and all ten grandchildren created so many memories there. I will always treasure Christmas Eve's were my Nana let us "sleep" in her sitting room that was attached to her bedroom. It was a very cozy and magical room where I can say that I really believe I saw Rudolph one year through the window while waiting for Santa to come.
The Famous "naughty chair" which I of course have only "heard of" from the other grandchildren because I rarely spent time there
Special Birthday and Christmas Presents Thank you for even to this day always remembering my birthday. You have always made my Birthday and Christmas special with your special gifts and generosity. Many of my favorites were the little treasures you have passed down to me including the goblets, antique plates, aprons, napkins, cute little salt and pepper shakers to just name a few. I always think of her when I use them.
Her Faith Thank you for sharing the Lord with me. Words can not express the blessing I feel that we can talk and share our faith with each other. I treasure those talks with her and look forward the next time we get a chance.
I love you Nana and I hope you get a chance to see this. I hope you know how special you are to me:)



1 comment:

Denise said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandma -- I hope she reads it!!